Friday, October 29, 2010

So Life Begins...And Moscow Rules

Before I start this review, I'm just going to give a brief little update on Me.
Today, I finished my last High School exam, so hopefully I will have a lot more time to blog from now on!
From here on I should be posting quite often, and after I get my HSC results back I will also post my creative writing piece from Paper One.
I hope my reviews are useful and good reading for all!

This shall be my first novel review.

Novel Title: "Moscow Rules" (2008)
Author: Daniel Silva
Publisher: Penguin Group

"Moscow Rules" is, as I have said about every other Daniel Silva novel I have read, brilliant. Again Silva uses his famous lead character, Gabriel Allon, and again Silva creates a masterpiece of a novel, filled with intrigue, well-placed twists and stunning imagery. Silva's detailed characterization, historically accurate descriptions of places and events and realistic dialogue work together perfectly in creating a novel which is easy to read, and captures your attention from beginning to end. 
Silva begins his story with the murder of Aleksandr Lubin, Russian journalist, in Courchevel, France. Allon, who is restoring a painting for the Vatican while on his honeymoon in Umbria, Italy, is summoned to conduct an interview with a Russian insider, who claims to have information regarding the murder. When his contact is killed before the interview can begin, Allon is dragged further into the case, which leads him on a global chase to catch arms dealer Ivan Kharkov before a batch of deadly weapons ends up in Al Qaeda's hands.
Silva offers everything a spy-novel should have and more, setting this novel apart from those in the mainstream which don't tend to vary in terms of plot or interesting dialogue.
"Moscow Rules" is not the first in the Gabriel Allon series, but Silva writes in a way that allows for the reader to read the books in any order, as I have done (not having access to all of the books, I have only read "A Death In Vienna", "Moscow Rules" and "The Defector").
Other titles by Silva include: "The Unlikely Spy", "The Mark of the Assassin", "The Marching Season", "The Kill Artist", "The English Assassin", "The Confessor", "A Death In Vienna", "Prince of Fire", "The Messenger", "The Secret Servant" and the sequel to "Moscow Rules"; "The Defector".
Although I myself have not had the chance to read the entire series (yet), I am confident in recommending them to you, because from what I have read so far and what I know of those novels I haven't yet read, I would rate Silva as the best spy-novelist of today.
If you like to read, and like me haven't given up your six-year-old dreams of being a super-spy, then I definitely recommend any Daniel Silva novel to you.
I give "Moscow Rules" a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment